Sunday, September 21, 2008

September Carnival of Children's Literature





Welcome to the September 21, 2008 edition of the Carnival of Children's Literature.




Ta da! Welcome one and all to my blog and to this month's roundup of wonderful blog posts!

I'm delighted to find reviews of two of my favorite childhood books. How wonderful to find others love these books too!



Charlotte presents Timeslip Tuesday: The Ghosts, by Antonia Barber posted at Charlotte's Library.

Jen Robinson presents The Forgotten Door: Alexander Key posted at Jen Robinson's Book Page.


The following books sound like fun! Does anyone else remember them?


Eva Mitnick presents That Brute Family - Russell and Lillian Hoban's all-too-real creation posted at Book Addiction.



Here's a review of a book from the 1940s:


Stacy Dillon presents The Bells of Bleecker Street posted at Booktopia.



Becky Laney shares two classic books that are still in print at Becky's Book Reviews of Beezus and Ramona and Young Readers: A Beatrix Potter Treasury.



Nancy Arruda presents a treasure trove of Recycled Books posted at Bees Knees Reads that she found at book sales. I'm wistfully envious. I'd love to have copies of those books in my own collection.



Daniel Kretschmer presents changing images of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland posted at Alice's Adventures in Art at vince's ear, saying, "We all know and love the literature of Alice's Adventure's In Wonderland. Let's not neglect the hundreds of wonderful illustrators who brought Alice to life."


Here's a review of the first Madeline book in 50 years!

Megan Germano presents Madeline and the Cats of Rome by John Bemelmans Marciano posted at Read, Read, Read. I have a copy of Marciano's biography of his grandfather, Ludwig Bemelmans sitting on my to-be-read pile, Bemelmans: The Life and Art of Madeline's Creator (1999). At some point I may post about it and other books I'm reading...


A delightful musical piece is shared with us by:

Alkelda the Gleeful at Song of the Week: Let's Play in the Forest posted at Saints and Spinners. She said, "I posted a video of the song "Let's Play in the Forest (while the wolf is not around)", which is used in the book of the same title by Claudia Rueda."


I recently had this next book in my hands because the author gave the book to my library which has a great geography collection. I enjoyed it and recommend it too!

Peter Jones presents Children Read and Learn: New Book Does Both posted at Great New Books that Are a Must Read.


It's Hispanic Heritage Month and several blogs join the celebration:

Tarie presents Author Interview: Diana Rodriguez Wallach posted at Into the Wardrobe.

Aline Pereira presents Hispanic Heritage Month 2008 posted at PaperTigers Blog.

Sonja Cole presents South America Video Booktalk posted at Bookwink, saying, "In honor of Hispanic Heritage Month, this video booktalk shot in Ecuador talks about the book Lost Treasure of the Inca."


Here's a review of a book set in Thailand:

Janet Brown presents The Tiger’s Choice: Talking About The Happiness of Kati posted at PaperTigers Blog.



Jennifer Bogart presents Book Review: The Rabbit and the Snowman by Sally O. Lee posted at Quiverfull Family, saying, "This is a review of a self-published, children's picture book."



Sarah presents Picture Books for Fall posted at In Need Of Chocolate.



Sam presents Best Children's Books. Best Kids' Books. Good Story Books and Picture Books for Children posted at Surfer Sam and Friends, saying, "The best children’s books delight, inspire, and teach. You open the world to a child when you read together. Here are good story books and picture books for children. Do you remember these favorites?



Crissa-Jean Chappell presents total constant order - I'm in the Miami Herald! posted at Crissa, saying, "Check out this Miami Herald interview and mini documentary video on my blog...in which I talk about turning the nervous energy from OCD into writing and positive energy...and a behind the scenes glimpse into my young adult novel, Total Constant Order."



Some of my young cousins have a severe peanut allergy so I was intrigued to find there were books that show children with this allergy:
Jennifer O. presents Comments From the Peanut Free Gallery: Children's Books posted at Comments From the Peanut Free Gallery.



I adore this library mouse!
Elizabeth O. Dulemba presents Coloring Page Tuesday - Library Mouse posted at dulemba.com



Here's a great roundup of reading nooks in schoolrooms around the country. I have fond memories of some favorite book nooks and chairs but none were this colorful!
Franki presents TRADING (our favorite) SPACES Round-Up posted at A Year of Reading.



Sometimes we forget children's book writers can be political animals too! Check this out:
Jonathan Calder presents Children's writers and their politics posted at Liberal England, and he says, "Hello from England".





That concludes this edition. Submit your blog article to the next edition of
Carnival of Children's Literature which will be held October 26, 2008 at The Well-Read Child using our
carnival submission form.
Past posts and future hosts can be found on our
blog carnival index page
.



Technorati tags:

, .






15 comments:

Jen Robinson said...

I'm so glad you like The Forgotten Door, too, Jenny! The carnival looks great (though I'll have to come back tomorrow, when I'm more awake, to look at more of the links). Thanks for putting it together!

Jenny Schwartzberg said...

Thanks! You even posted the cover of my old Scholastic paperback copy which I recently refound while going through my collection. You know, Alexander Key wrote a lot of other great books. Hmm. Maybe I'll do a fangirl post on him soon....

Jen Robinson said...

I love the original cover. I actually have 2 copies, one with each, but I much prefer the old one.

I also love Escape to Witch Mountain. I would love to see you do a fangirl post, Jenny. Then that can in turn inspire me to review Escape to Witch Mountain, which I'm wanting to re-read anyway.

Karen said...

Nice carnival! If I had been thinking more, I would have finished and submitted something about Caps for Sale, one of our favorites... shoot! Thanks for creating the collection, I've enjoyed visiting some of the contributors' pages.

Charlotte said...

Thanks for the great Carnival, Jenny! And I'm so glad you like The Ghosts too.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful job, Jenny! Thanks so much for hosting. I can't wait to check out all these links.

Tarie Sabido said...

Thank you for hosting, Jenny! :o)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for including me! This is a great carnival :).

Terry Doherty said...

I love this collection of books ... lots of posts I need to go back and savor.

Thanks, Jenny!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jenny! Great stuff! I particularly enjoyed Book Wink's South America Video Booktalk, in Ecuador, and the "Trading Spaces" post, by a Year of Reading. Thanks for including PaperTigers' two posts!
Aline

Jonathan Calder said...

Thanks for including me!

Jenny Schwartzberg said...

Thank you all of you! I'm glad you like it and are finding fun posts here. People put together some great blogs for this carnival.

Saints and Spinners said...

I got all caught up with life etc. and am only now getting around to thanking you for putting together this carnival of children's literature.

cecilgrass said...

The carnival really does look great! If I may be so bold, there are also some great books worth looking at that I've seen over at http://www.leeandlow.com. In my opinion they have some of the best books for children around and my nieces and nephews have enjoyed them very much.

Jenny Schwartzberg said...

Thanks for the compliment. I agree that Lee and Low is a great resource. They also have a very interesting and active blog: http://blog.leeandlow.com/ Enjoy!